Sunday, May 10, 2015

I don't know my place

 
“She didn’t know her place, you know, when dealing with a male female relationship.”

I stifled a giggle. “And what place is that?” I was driving from an event with a man I’d just met that day. We’d decided to carpool

“I know I know, I can tell what you think about this but a woman has to know her place.”

I didn’t stifle a giggle this time, I outright laughed. It was more than archaic, it was …silly. He knew what I was going to say and understood it on some level but chose to ignore the idea that a woman might not do what he wanted what he thought she should.

“She knows her place alight, it just isn’t the place you want for her,” I responded. We were quiet for a moment and then I asked, “What do you tell your daughter?” His daughter is 16. 

“I told her she needs to learn how to cook so she can become a good wife. She doesn’t listen to anything I have to say though. She’s like you, educated and opinionated. No offense.”

“I’m so glad she doesn’t listen to you,” I laughed. “And there is nothing offensive about those things.”

“It’s ok,” he nodded at me, as if didn’t know. I assured him, “I know its ok.”

I couldn’t be angry. How could I be angry? I mean, I guess I could be howling at the moon but a guy like that, he already knows his thinking is dated, he has already been approached by the people that he would be most open to- those he loves. I don’t have time or energy or notion to try to engage him in the merits of a thinking woman. A woman outside the kitchen, not barefoot, not pregnant, not deferential to anything with dangling lower genitals.

The thing that did irk me though, was when we moved on to less contentious conversation. I mentioned an upcoming vacation and he said, “wow, a woman traveling on her own…huh…” followed by something else that i can’t quite remember. It was lost in the boiling irritation that rose in me in response to that comment. Whatever he said amounted to patting small children on the head when they say they are going to be superman when they grow up. Benign condescension and the knowledge that such things can never be. Something about that line of conversation incenses me.
I went on a first date a few months ago and that guy commented on how amazing it was that me, a mere woman, drove a car while in another country. “That’s a big deal for a girl,” he said. A girl? A freaking girl? 

“Woman,” I corrected. I was seething inside even as I smiled and pointed out that women in most places in the world drive in their respective countries. It isn’t as if the penis is the driving apparatus and without them we are left flailing about wondering what that big wheel in the front seat does. 

All I can do is sigh deeply and wonder what the heck it all means when men in my age group continue to hold such antiquated views on who I am supposed to be. What I am supposed to do. The control over my life they think I’m supposed to relinquish. It as if my existence is supposed to be small and easy to manage, my personality, un-textured and un-layered, my hobbies gender specific. That I am supposed to be uncomplicated. Two-dimensional. Flat. Easy to manage.

I’m starting to feel a defensive edge about discussing my love of cooking these days, as if men are somewhere off to the side nodding their heads in approval. Like eating watermelon in public as a black person…hell…even fried chicken. Fear of confirming not just one stereotype but all of them in the span of a dinner plate. The catharsis I feel in working on a recipe somehow belying acquiesce to my “place” in a chauvinistic world.

I called my dad after I dropped off the man who ardently believes that even his beloved daughter should know, and stay in her place. I called him to thank him for never being that man. For supporting and encouraging me to handle my things on my own. To speak up for myself. To never let fear dictate my decisions. And to laugh at boys, and later men, who tried to make me doubt myself on some flimsy pretense of my appearance or the need to be nice.

The revolution takes time and space
But you as a woman gotta know you're place
That's in the front baby
I'm being blunt baby
If the get mad say it's they time of the month baby - the Coup



No comments:

Post a Comment