Sunday, May 3, 2015

An almost chef

The almost chef. It fits on multiple levels. No formal training beyond a fierce reliance on google to figure things out, I’m almost but not quite, a trained cook. But the almost applies for my adherence to recipes.

My respect for cooks and chefs is less their ability to follow a recipe. A recipe is simply instructions, and people follow those all the time. Instructions allow us to put together Ikea furniture, to get to a new restaurant, to take care of a new plant. Instructions are simple. The artistry of food comes not in recipes, but in the ability to deviate from recipes…or at its height…to never consider a recipe to begin with. To look at a heap of potential ingredients and to see a masterful plate there. The culinary version of Michelangelo lore –Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it.. The meal is already in the ingredients so to speak.

To that end, it seems I am calling myself a chef or an artist, but more accurately I am someone who rarely has all of the ingredients on hand, or who has a distaste for a particular ingredient being called for. Up front, anything calling for asparagus is immediately replaced with…well, almost anything. I loathe asparagus and there is no disguising the taste, smell, or texture. Most things I’ll try out but I’m most reticent to put asparagus anywhere near me. But I digress. This isn’t about asparagus. This is about my almost recipe.

My CSA box arrived on Wednesday filled with dill. Dill? My only experience with dill was back in high school when I tried to make a potpie with a dill crust. I over-measured not understanding that unlike other seasonings that a little is good and a lot just as good, dill, in its dried form, is strong. I don’t remember what was in that potpie but I sure as hell remember the dill. 

So potpie crust rushed to my brain when I found the willowy stems of dill in my box. What the heck was I going to do with that?

Google of course. I google any ingredient and add recipe to the end all the time, a useful trick my sister shared with me. Of course I scrolled through pages of pickle recipes but finally I landed on this recipe for Persian rice. It called for a fair amount of dill so that was a win, but it also involved rice…and I don’t really deal too much with rice. Mostly I use quinoa these days, versatile enough for rice and bulgur dishes, as well as cous cous dishes. Still, skimming through the recipe, it called for jasmine rice – a rice that has a subtle aroma and shape. 

I did a fair amount of shopping and scrounging for this recipe – even as I didn’t purchase everything on the ingredient list. For starters, there was no zucchini and I don’t like it enough to warrant purchasing some. My box did have dino kale though, a darker healthier green and readily available. Double score. I sautéed it quickly with some garlic and set it aside. 

I had, oddly enough, an abundance of cinnamon sticks but not cardamom. Cardamom had been on my mind for a while though, given how much Indian food I try to cook so I purchased that. The pistachios I almost substituted for cashews (boy am I glad I didn’t, the texture would be all wrong). I bought goat cheese, a lemon, and a can of chick peas. Most everything else I pillaged my pantry for, even managing to scrounge up a packet of dried apricots from my Machu Picchu hike some months ago (dried apricots are like $12 a packet!). 

I followed the instructions…mostly. There was no roasting of zucchini of course because there was no zucchini, but I did throw in the sautéed greens. There was no parsley because…who really misses parsley?

When I finished, what I was left with was pure and vibrant deliciousness. Already I am plotting to recreate it, a handful of fresh dill remains, as does an extra lemon and half a thing of goat cheese. Really, the pistachios and apricots are the only thing that would require replenishing. 

Of course I’m also thinking about how I can step it up a notch…stuffing the rice into raw sweet peppers seems the perfect complement (although it might fight too much against the sweetness of the apricots) but I’ll have to try that out next round. For the moment I have to be contented with anticipating lunch…I love it when I anticipate lunch.

Fatigue strangled a great deal of my weekend, I didn’t do nearly as much cooking as I had intended. I discovered late today that I didn’t have the whole cumin seeds necessary for my roti recipe so that will have to wait but I did have beets idling in my fridge. Beets, something I eat when presented but never seek out. The original plan had been to make a carrot beet and ginger soup…but that made me nervous for some reason I can’t exactly explain. Instead, I allowed myself to be persuaded by my sister to pickle the beets instead. Apparently pickled beets count as a fermented food and fermented foods are good for you

Once again I found myself without the complete ingredients for any one recipe. Some called for actually canning (never gonna happen!) some, special vinegars, some special seasonings. What I settled on was a relatively simple recipe, but even in its simplicity I was missing ingredients. Still, I roasted my beets, skinned and sliced them. I soaked the steaming root in a mixture of apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard seeds, and fresh dill. It wasn’t exactly in keeping with the recipe but I did what I could. For the moment they taste like..well…pickled beets. Nothing particularly special. I am curious to see how they fare as the days progress.

Next up…dhal puri roti and some kind of carrot ginger soup and fresh bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment