Sunday, March 3, 2019

Wet Naps Mean I'm Special

Mui Ne, Vietnam

“You are special,” said the woman sitting across from me.

I held up the wet wipe and responded with a smile, “I know.”

There was no sarcasm. In a country where some restaurants don’t supply napkins and others slip a small package of wet wipes at your place setting before you meal and then charge you for them once they’d been used, I knew my treatment was not the usual.

It started with my nosy gaze falling on the vendor’s small station, she cooked over a coal pot and as always I wanted to know what it was. Before I had an answer she motioned for me sit and have one and so I sat on the tiny plastic stools in front of her.

When she handed me the bahn trang it was wrapped in paper. More specifically, it was wrapped in used notebook paper. I smiled immediately upon recognition because the packaging was familiar. When I lived in rural South Africa it wasn’t uncommon for me to get a fat-cake (an appropriate name for deep fried dough) or curry-fish (which might have had a hint of curry but definitely had no fish) I similar wrapping.

Faster than I anticipated I attempted to hold the cylindrical dish and rummage for my money- about 35 cents- to no success. In that moment I was reminded that I would not be pressed for money until I motioned that I was ready to go. With that, I settled into my food.

Crunchy and chewy, savory and sweet, I picked up hints of cinnamon which seems bizarre from what I know of the flavor palate of Vietnam (of course that is limited but growing daily). Halfway through, I realized I was dripping oil down my leg (I never saw her add oil t the dish) and attempted to wipe it off with my hand. That is when the vthe woman across from me reached for another piece of used notebook paper from the vendor ad handed it to me. As I cleaned myself up the vendor smiled as she handed me the wet nap.

And I smiled in return. Because beyond a courtesy of vendor to patron, I know that wetnaps are a luxury

No comments:

Post a Comment